Mum warns of bath danger after son, 2, fills tub at 4am and falls asleep in it
A horrified mum is warning parents to hid the plug for their bathtub after her two-year-old son climbed in at 4am, filled it with water and fell asleep.
Little Archie thankfully was saved by his older brother who woke and after hearing him in the bathroom raised the alarm.
Illi, who lives in Australia, shared the traumatic story of how her son nearly drowned to serve as a stark warning to mums and dads about the bathtub danger.
She wrote online: “At 4am our four-year-old son came running down to our bedroom shouting that his brother was in the bath and needed urgent help.
“We found our cheeky, adventurous two-year-old in the bath fully clothed with nappy and everything on.
“He had pulled up a stool to climb in (he’s never climbed in on his own before), put the plug in, turned the tap on and the bath was overflowing and the bathroom was flooding.”
Illi said she then realised her son had been trying to get out of the bath for a while but he became tired, Sun Online reports.
The petrified parent found Archie on his knees and falling asleep in the water which she described as “the scariest part” that had left her “deeply traumatised”.
“I just can’t believe what a close call this was,” she added.
“I’m so incredibly grateful my four-year-old woke up as we would never have heard (our room is at the other end of the house) our four-year-old is such a heavy sleeper too so it’s honestly a miracle he woke up.
Little Archie was checked over by medics and was given a clean bill of health but Illi said she is aware it could have ended in tragedy if her older son had woken up a few minutes later.
She said: “Obviously there’s been a lock put on the bathroom door now and the plug is also in a locked cupboard.
“I have purchased an alarm sensor to put on his door.”
She Illi shared her story in a mum’s group where shocked parents confessed they had never considered the dangers of leaving the bath plug accessible to their young ones.
“I hope this story can educate other parents because honestly I consider myself to be REALLY on top of child safety, every effort is taken to ensure the safety of our kids at all times but I honestly just never thought of locking away the plug,” Illi warned.
Her post has been shared hundreds of times in a bid to circulate the message to parents all around the world.
One shocked parent commented: “I can only imagine how distressing this must have been. Thank you for the wake up call. 5 kids in and I’ve never thought about this. Our plug will be finding a new home.”
“Wow !!!! Removing the stool from our bathroom as we speak. Thanks for sharing this scary but real story,” another said.
Others dubbed Illi’s four-year-old so an “amazing little human” and a “hero” thanks to his “quick thinking”.